Re: [IP] Off Topic, Sorry

2 bits was 25 cents. I remember reading something about how in order to make change, hunks of "silver" were cut or divided into 8 pieces or "bits", so when the hunk of silver eventually came to equal a dollar, 2 bits was 25 cents.

My 2 cents er..bits...er....   :)
JMK

>>> email @ redacted 10/30/02 03:28pm >>>

> Sorry for posting so much today.  I have a question that is really bugging
> me.  What is a "bit"?  What I mean is, when an older person says they want
> to pay 6 bits for something, what does that mean?
> Also sorry for being off topic!!

i think that 2 bits was the equivalent of twenty five cents.  i do remember
reading the actual explanation/historical meaning of this, but with my head
so full of school work and stuff it's gone right out the window. <g>