Re: [IP] Question about getting a pump

> How many people on this list got a pump because of complications or the
> fear of getting them?
> Jim S.
> Mary started pumping 2 l/2 years ago at age 7.  We felt that her diabetes
> could be better managed by switching to all Humalog and not use the
> unpredictable NPH.  As a Mom, I was tired of feeding the insulin rather
> than feeding a hungry child.  She had to eat a set amount, at a set time
> whether she was hungry or not. It took us l8 months pumping to see an
> improvement in her AlC.  But, we saw an improvement immediately at
> improving her's and the whole families life style.  She had been on 5
> shots a day.

Today she is a great 4th grade, student council member, saftey patrol at
school, violin player, soccer player and honors student.  It is sure a lot
easier to accomplish this on a pump rather than fighting so many highs and
lows.  Remember she is a child first, not a diabetic first.

I do not believe that kids are protected from complications until they
reach l8.  The effects of blood sugars out of control or constantly going
up and down do affect body systems from day one.

She is anxiously looking forward to the school Halloween party this
afternoon and going out for candy tonight.  I'm going to the school partry
because she has not mastered counting carbs for all the junk food she is
going to indulge in this afternoon.  Maybe she will share some chocolate
with me.