Re: [IP] Thallium stress test tomorrow

Hi RL

I guess I can consider myself a veteran of Thalium Stress Tests.  Most of
what you heard is true.  I haven't seen anyone mention that you must be
fasting for any treadmill stress test.  So, you may want to take the fasting
into consideration.  The reason for the fasting is that they don't want you
to hurl all over there nice equipment.

While you are walking/running on the treadmill, you must alert the
technician at least one minute before stopping  in order for the thalium to
be injected.  On my last test, I alerted the tech and was asked by  the
supervising doctor could I give a little more!  I said, I've given you a one
minute warning, it's up to you what to do with it.  But, I am quitting in
one more minute!

You will be scanned to see how the thalium is coursing through your heart.
This is a 12 - 15 minute process.  Then you will be set free with a very
long leash so that you can come back in one hour to be scanned again.  The
good thing is that you now get to eat!!!!!!

As a diabetic, you may choose to talk to your endo to get medicine that will
spare your kidneys of a lot of grief.  I never had it before and I am at the
beginning of kidney failure.  My nephrologist said she would take care of me
the next time I had a thalium test.

I don't normally do the tread mill part.  The bursitis in my hips doesn't
allow  it.  I have had the presnatium test in which a medication was
injected into me to speed up my heart.  There is no easy way out.  I felt
pretty awful during the test. I had ignored the fasting and had a stomach
full of coffee which I nearly hurled during the test.  I also had to be
"coached" to hang in while the medicine did  it's work.  Since this was my
regular cardiologist whom I have  a crush on, I hung in.  When I told her
about my coffee drinking, she was not a happy camper!

I hope this helps.

Remember two things

1. Protect your kidneys at all times!

2. Take into consideration that you will be fasting from midnight the night
before.

Good luck!

Chris