From: Steve Schmidt [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 2:25 PM
To: email @ redacted
Cc: email @ redacted; email @ redacted
Subject: [4rKids] say hello to my little pumper

Sydne is the latest addition to the growing list of pumpers. Yesterday, we
went in (without her) to get all the technical info and to do insertions on
ourselves. I was very surprised at how painless it was! Make no mistake
about it, I am a wuss when it comes to needles piercing MY skin, but I did
it without fear and it really was painless! Nancy even did one on her, but
she was scared sh!tless. I have been wearing my pump (with saline of course)
since yesterday, and I worked out for a couple of hours and took a shower
and my set is still stuck strong. I am so glad that I was allowed to wear a
pump. It really has given me piece of mind, knowing how painless the
insertion can be.
This morning, we took Sydne in to do her insertion. We numbed it with EMLA,
but she still cried. I think that it was more of a physchological,
conditioned response than a response to actual pain. She is at home now,
playing like a 3 year old plays, and has forgotten all about the set in her
butt. We told her that if she doesn't mess with it and leaves the pump alone
then next week we would burn her needles. She is really excited about the
needle bonfire!
I am so happy that we found Dr Dattatreya (and Brenda Head) to make this
happen for us. I know pumping may not be for everyone (and our situation is
especially unique being divorced and all), but if the parents are willing to
do their homework and make a strong commitment to learn all about pumping,
why not grant a saline trial?
We will probably go live with insulin on Monday, so until then we will be
doing injections as well. I am so proud of my little pumper!

Steve  Dad to Sydne(3)  dx'd 11/01  in Dallas

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!

PLEASE visit http://www.fmwebdesign.com/diabetes/ for local diabetes support
and information.

PLEASE consult your doctor before making any changes in your diabetes
management program. Information shared on this list is not to be received as
professional medical advice, just information from parents who have been
there and done that! :)
Connie Miller