HI Susan,
I'd have it done if you have insurance and money isn't a concern!  I'm 27 and D. for 24 yrs and have had that test done twice now.  The first time about 13 years ago.  Then again about a year ago.   I think it's a good idea to have some details to look at and to have those to compare later down the Diabetes Complication road!  I DON'T WANT TO RISK ANYTHING WITH MY SIGHT!  It is a very annoying test, I think!  Imagine a huge flash photo camera 1 inch from your wide open eyeball and you are told to "KEEP YOUR EYE WIDE OPEN" and TRY NOT TO BLINK!  They take the photos, your eyes are watering like crazy and trying not to blink!
But it's all over and done and you are fine!  You just pee a vivid orange for a few hours while the dye works it's way out of your system!:-)
My 2 cents is DO IT.  I'm sure others will reply as well:-)
Hope that was helpful.
--janet

 >> Could someone tell me about a test I am having done. Do I need it? The
optomologist just checked my eyes for retinopathy today. He said I have a
few little spots that come and go. Anyway he says I am fine . But thinks
I should have a test where they put die in my artery or and it goes to my
eyes. They take pictures of my eyes. They can see things they normally
cant see. He said then they have a picture of my eyes to compare to. Also
he says they can see things in the back of my eye that they cant see even
by dialating my eyes. I cant remember the name of the test. Maybe one of
you can and can give me some background on it. Is it safe. They say it
is. He said that if they see something in the back of the eye they can
take care of it before it would be seen by just looking in my eyes. Thank
you for your input.
Susan & Bunky