[IP] Interesting news story

On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, the Detroit News ran a story about a woman
who died with undiagnosed diabetes.  The story was titled: "Silent Killer
Shatters Family".  The lady was 42 years old, in pretty good shape who
played tennis and golf regularly.  She had 3 children and did have
gestational diabetes diagnosed with her second child.  On June 25th, she
went to have a shower before taking her children to the pool.  Her son
found her in the bathroom unconscious on the floor.  He called his dad at
work who told a co-worker to call 911 and he rushed home.  In the period of
about 20 minutes she had died.  Coroner ruled she died of "diabetic
ketoacidosis" or DKA as we all know it.  My question is, how could anyone
have DKA severe enough to kill them with no apparent symptoms?  Is this
really possible?