>>>    We could use a new mattress, but I have to pay down some bills first.
don't want to settle for another cheap mattress like last time.>>>

To firm up your mattress, place a piece of plywood under it - it will have
to be cut off since they are 8' long and beds usually aren't. BTW,
chiropractors like water beds cuz they keep them in business. ;)

We have had a piece of plywood under our mattress for 42 years - not the
same mattress. ;)

In  Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When
you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to
sleep on. Hence the phrase "goodnight, sleep tight."