[IP] visual distortion

From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] the look

sara & maureen:
       As I get older (and wiser??), I've come to accept that those "looks"
the equally insenitive comments that accompany the "looks", often stem from
the speaker's discomfort with the situation, not anyone else's. I had a
mother of a 32 yr old contact me via JDRF about her daughter's
diabetes. I nearly dropped the phone when the mother said she was so
when her daughter "gave up on " the pump because it made the mother CRINGE
see "that thing" attached to her daughter!!!.....when I subsequently spoke
the daughter, I wasn't too shocked to hear her say she doesn't drive because
"after all no diabetics should be behind the wheel of a car". What a sad sad
commentary on how the mother's views of her daughter's condition had
handicapped them both. Sigh....
Renee (pump mom/advocate to Melissa)
Talk about insensitive views of people and values. Stupidity can really hurt
the patient and the person who should be her strongest advocate. this child
will grow up with mind paralysis. spot
A. L. Bender, M. D.