[IP] remaining insulin detection

With regards to the 508 and how much insulin is left--it's my understanding
that the Animas has an actual way to measure it (and I dont know how the D
Tron does it.)  With the 508, when you change the reservoir you tell it how
much is in there, and with the push of a button you can see how much you
remaining as it counts it down.  It isn't very scientific though, as it
depends on your visually seeing how much is in it, and then programming that
number in when you Prime.
THE Animas and Disatronic pumps both have a push rod which senses the
position of the plunger in the cartridge and directly translates this to an
actual amount of insulin remaining. It is quite accurate but dont rely on it
when it says you have a few units left you may have none., spot Minimed has
similar problems as well.

A. L. Bender, M. D.