Re: [IP] No Info about N

At 05:36 PM 10/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
 >I find this *very* hard to fathom. I got a bottle of Humulin N because I
 >have to go off the pump until Monday. I don't know, maybe I should just try
 >it on Humalog alone. But anyway, you know that little paper insert that
 >they put in the insulin package? The useless "patient information" This
 >paper has absolutely nothing about the action times of the N insulin.
 >How can they do this? This sounds like it should be illegal or something to
 >not provide the user with the action times.
 >So anyway , a link or an email???, does someone have the action times?
 >N starts working in how many minutes?
 >It peeks around how many hours?
 >And it's out of your system in - what 24 hours?

I believe that's one of the main reasons we all started pumping and stopped
using NPH to begin with.  It is notoriously unpredictable.

What they say in their insert

"Humulin. N is a crystalline suspension of human insulin with protamine and
zinc providing an intermediate-acting insulin with a slower onset of action
and a longer duration of activity (up to 24 hours) than that of regular
insulin. The time course of action of any insulin may vary considerably in
different individuals or at different times in the same individual. As with
all insulin preparations, the duration of action of Humulin N is dependent
on dose, site of injection, blood supply, temperature, and physical activity,"

is entirely true, and is about all they can truthfully say about its action.

You can do fine until Monday on Regular alone.  I did fine during an entire
pregnancy and several months afterwards that way. Don't mess with the demon
NPH unless you really have to.