[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #734

In a message dated 10/26/02 8:31:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> You may THINK you counted and heard 4 beeps, but
> maybe not!!  Is it worth the extra .5 or 1.0 unit not to have to dig it out
> of your shirt to manually bolus??  Steps of .5 and 1.0 step are too gross
> (meaning not fine-tuned enough - i am not talking "booger" gross here) for
> me, as I am fairly insulin sensitive...if I NEED 3.2 units for something
> and
> i do an audio bolus for 3.5, I am getting  a tad more insulin than I
> need...and if I was set on 1.0 increments, what if I had bolused 4.0 - way
> too much.  I think it would be safer, if you already know you have problems
> with lows, just to bolus the 3.2 units and be done with it??

I just wanted to tout the Paradigm once more . . . they let you program your
bolus steps.  I mean you can program your pump to go by increments of . 3, or
.2, or .4.  Whatever you want.  I prefer 0.2 because I found on average my
boluses were for just over or just under a 0.5 increment, and it has worked
out great!!!  I also strongly recommend visual verification of a bolus.  We
literally spend days in cumulative time waiting for stop lights, grocery
lines, and microwave popcorn . . . what's 1.5 seconds to look down at the
pump to verify the bolus amount?  Especially in comparison with the amount of
time spent trying to recuperate a low, or to catch up to a hi, or worse.