[IP] Re: tips for traveling to remote, cold location

Hi Leeann,
       Conratulations on being close to one of your lifelong dreams!  How
exciting.  A univresity friend of mine, who came from Germany, always wanted
to take the Polar Bear Express train to Hudson Bay.  But I think he returned
to Germany without having done it.  I also had a friend from Churchill--she
came to the "big city" to go to University and was deathly afraid of crossing
the street, even when she had the green walk sign.  Wasn't used to any
       Sounds like you have thought of everything you might need.  Its really
no different than being anywhere away from home and a hospital, such as out
in the woods camping.  The hospital will be able to do IVs and such and if
other medical treatment is needed you would be flown to a Winnipeg hospital.

       Is Churchill really so cold at this time of year?  Minus 20 C. or so?
 The cold won't be a problem if you keep your pump next to you, but be
careful with the strips you bring outside with you.  Also keep them next to
your body.  Many pumpers go skiing and the cold could be similar, though I
don't like being out when its colder than minus 20 C.    When we ski, I put
Claire's strips inside my ski pants pocket, so they get some body heat, which
is then also covered by my jacket.  I heard a talk last year given by a
pumper who climbed that mountain in Argentina.  No problems with insulin, but
she said she had a lot of strips ruined from the freezing temperatures.  I
think she said it was minus 20 overnights.  Dry cold air can be hard on your
skin--bring a good moisturizing cream and lip balm (or just keep lipstick

Have a great trip and tell us about it when you are back.

Barbara (Manitoba born), Mum of Claire 8