Re: [IP] Ideal Basal rates

In a message dated 10/25/2002 9:36:25 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>      I'm sorry to tell the medical people but for some people 1 - 2 - 3 or
> more basal rate are needed and used. I have been pump for over 20+ years and
> have records to show for me 7 basals is the best.

Have to agree with you, Rodney.  We've found that 7 rates work well for Katie
. . . When we started out pumping our endo (a nationally recognized ped.
endo) suggested setting up your pump basals with basal rate periods of 3 or 4
hours long (or a combination of those totalling 24 hours).  Her experience
was that periods of those lengths seem to fit into most peoples patterns of
insulin needs, and even though at times you may have two consecutive periods
with identical rates, when things get off, adjusting and testing periods of
3-4 hours seems to go easier.

For Katie, her basal periods are as follows;
midnight to 4 am
4-7 am
7-10 am
3-6 pm
6-9 pm
9pm to midnight
(so, okay, one of the periods is for 5 hours -- but that's just how it
evolved over time to fit Katie's specific needs . . .)

Lyndy 8-0
Pumpmama to Katie