Re: [IP] tips for traveling to remote, cold location

One question:  Can I go with you?!?  What a tremendous opportunity!  I've
seen several tv programs on the bears at Churchill--WOW!!!

My motto for planning any trip is:  be prepared for the worst---what if
you.......get snowed/frozen in for an extra week.....need some sort of Rx
for an infection from a possible injury.....get the flu or some sort of

When I went on a camping trip in the Yukon (in the *summertime*), I also
took nausea medicine (tablets and suppositories), a couple extra glucagon
kits, and some anti-diarrhea medicine.  I always keep a paper with me giving
all medical information anyone would need to know if I was unable to
talk--basal rates, bolus and correction rates, prescriptions and dosages,
complications, family members' phone numbers, doctors' numbers.

I would want someone else on the trip to know what to do for me in case of
emergency--like an extreme low.  Will you be much more physically active
than usual?  I know some people on the list have written about needing more
or less insulin in very cold weather.

How very exciting!  I wish I were in your shoes--I mean, mukluks. <:~)

Best wishes,

Lisa Mattox

Leeann Myers wrote: > I'm traveling to Churchill, Manitoba (pop. 1,100) in a
couple of weeks to see polar bears.  The bears are hanging out around
Churchill right now waiting for the Hudson Bay to freeze, and it's been a
lifelong dream of mine to see them in the wild.
> I do know there's a hospital (I'm sure very tiny and basic) in the town,
but since going on the pump, I haven't traveled to such a remote location.
Being dependent on a machine makes me a little nervous, plus I have no
experience with handling the pump in extreme cold.  The wilderness company
arranging the trip also said it's extremely dry there (to the point that
people with sinus problems may need to take extra precautions).
> Here are the things I'm bringing, and I would love any further tips/advice
from those of you who live in a cold climate or who have traveled to remote
locations while on a pump.
> * I have a travel loaner pump from MM (I'm on the 508).
> * I'm bringing a sheet of fabric softener to prevent static. I almost
always wear my pump (sans case) in the side strap of my bra, so I figure it
will stay warm enough.
> * I'm bringing three bottles of Humalog, as well as a bottle of Lantus in
case I have to go back to shots for some reason.
> * My glucose meter and tons of strips. (I guess I'll keep it in the inner
pocket of my down jacket, so it stays warm enough to work.)
> * Extra batteries for the meter and my pump.
> * Tons of extra pump supplies.
> Am I forgetting anything?  I won't have any support in terms of a person
who can help me who's knowledgeable about diabetes--although, of course,
I'll be with a group of about 10 people so won't be alone.  But that's why I
want to make sure I'm prepared in the obvious ways.