[IP] Re: Kona Marathon and the ADA

I trained for and ran the Kona Marathon in June with the ADA's Team Diabetes.
Yes, they pay for transportation and lodging in Kona, but it is in exchange
for your reaching a particular fundraising goal. In my case, I was required
to raise a minimum of $4,000 in donations in order to participate. The trip
is your prize, and costs must less than the donations you obtain because of
special group/nonprofit discounts that airlines and hotels give.
As for training, it is too soon to start now. What is so nice about joining a
team like Team Diabetes is that they provide coaching and teach you about the
timing of training and map out your training schedule and help you understand
why it's important to do things on that schedule in order to peak at the
right time for optimum performance and recovery. Six months is plenty of time
to train. I had never run since doing those stupid laps in junior high gym
class and started training Jan. 4 for the June 23 race. I was definitely
well-prepared despite my novice status.
In my experience, the coaches were the best part of my Team Diabetes
experience, next to my teammates.
If you'd like to know more, don't hesitate to e-mail me privately. I would
actually really be interested in hearing from you and to know where you are
from. I can offer some additional information about the experience, good and
However, I think overall it was fantastic and I would encourage you to do it.
The resort that the ADA books for the Kona participants is simply amazing.
The race was unbelievable. The experience was right up there with my wedding
as one of the best times in my life.
dxed T1 9/92, pumping since 1/02