RE: [IP] Kona Marathon and the ADA?

Jef,
I don't know anything specific about the Kona race, but there are multiple
members on this list that have run that race and others with team diabetes.
There was a message in July from Roger Wendell who said that he has run that
one and was training for the race in Dublin this month, which may have
already happened.  He said if anyone wanted more info on Team Diabetes to
contact him (email @ redacted).  If you do a search on the site for
Marathon a number come up.

I am leaving tomorrow morning to participate with the JDRF Ride to a Cure,
it is a 105 mile bicycle ride through Death Valley, CA.  I would guess the
event is run similarily.  All my travel arrangements were made and covered
through the JDRF.  Any food, items, etc. not supplied by them I pay for and
I keep the receipts.  When I get back I send them to the local JDRF office I
am going through and they reimburse me.  I think the ADA events don't
require you to raise money, but encourage that you do?  I had to raise $3000
for the JDRF to participate in this event.  I don't know if that helps...

Also where do you live?  There are many different groups that train for
marathons across the US and  I would assume in other countries also.  I have
a friend who runs marathons and is involved with 'Team in Training'.  They
run various events to raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  He
said that there were some other people that were running for other charities
that they were training with.  So you might be able to check into that if
you are wanting a team to train with.  It's possible that the ADA can also
hook you up with people locally who are training.  Once you sign up you may
also get information on how to train, or recommendations.

Don't know if any of that helps...

-- Sherry