[IP] Re: Driving and Diabetes

i've had my license since i was 19-- no reason; just too lazy to get it-- and last summer made a
900-mile road trip up to maine all by myself just for the heck (my parents were petrified!). i am
still a little baffled when people think that diabetics can't/shouldn't drive simply because of
their diabetes; the great (though broke) commonwealth of virginia knows all about my diabetes but
has not yet squawked about giving me a license =).
 driving requires good eyesight, good spatial perception, good physical coordination, and good
judgment. if you've got all of these, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to drive if you
want, no matter what you have; if you lack any of them, then you shouldn't drive. the only
exception i would make is in the case of hypo unawareness and sudden unexpected unconsciousness,
but that's not something endemic to diabetes alone. if you can drive, then drive. if ya cain't
then don't; diabetes alone shouldn't preclude you from doing either. drive, d-people, and be
(safely) free! =D

becky, denizen of the great american road, who keeps a jar of glucose tabs and several tubes of
glucosnot in the console of her hyundai =)
(dx'd 1/24/92 at age 10, pumping since 11/21/01)

Do you Yahoo!?