Re: [IP] the look

sara & maureen:
       As I get older (and wiser??), I've come to accept that those "looks" &
the equally insenitive comments that accompany the "looks", often stem from
the speaker's discomfort with the situation, not anyone else's. I had a
mother of a 32 yr old contact me via JDRF about her daughter's out-of-control
diabetes. I nearly dropped the phone when the mother said she was so relieved
when her daughter "gave up on " the pump because it made the mother CRINGE to
see "that thing" attached to her daughter!!!.....when I subsequently spoke to
the daughter, I wasn't too shocked to hear her say she doesn't drive because
"after all no diabetics should be behind the wheel of a car". What a sad sad
commentary on how the mother's views of her daughter's condition had
handicapped them both. Sigh....
Renee (pump mom/advocate to Melissa)