Re: [IP] Diabetic Hamster

On 10/19/02 12:42 PM, "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> In a message dated 10/19/2002 11:41:02 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
>> WAS.   Poor dear Spooky, the dwarf hamster,  is now departed.   She crossed
>> over the Rainbow Bridge to join with my diabetic Great Dane, Duchess.
>> Right now Spooky is riding between Duchess's ears and they're both having
>> treats without having to bolus anymore!
> Tell me, George, how can you tell a hamster has diabetes???
> Lyndy
> Pumpmama to Katie

Same as with a diabetic Great Dane or a person; PU/PD, excessive thirst and
urination.  Tests on the urine showed high glucose and subsequent blood
tests on the Duchess showed it also.  Spooky was a bit to small to get a
blood sample, so I managed her to eliminate ketones, but maintain light
glucose in the urine.

BTW, the dosage for Spooky was 0.24 daily of U2 Lente and for Duchess it was
about 32 units.  I guess that's about right for the difference between a 38
gram dwarf hamster and a 140 lb. Great Dane.        ;>)