[IP] Removing medic alert bracelets

>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:23:14 -0400
>From: Jocelyn Robinson <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] medic alert bracelets

>As an athlete, still young (12) there
>are requirements in every sport program both in and out of school that
>ALL jewelry must be removed for both practices and games.  I guess if he
>ever becomes a professional athlete, then it would be OK to wear it, but
>as a child he seems to have no rights.

I am not sure about professional athletes, but he should beware of many
workplaces.  We had very strict workplace safety rules where I previously
worked.  Whenever I was on the factory or pilot plant floor we were to
remove all rings, watches and bracelets.  This included my medic alert.  I
went over the wearing a necklace under my shirt (neckties had to be tucked
in and no outside necklaces).  This had to do with fears of objects being
caught on moving machinery and someone dragged into the machine and hurt.

For this situation I see it a case of balancing two different types of

Much like the situation with children's athletics.  The potential for cuts
and bruising from impacts against jewelry with the potential for someone not
recognizing a situation due to a medical condition.