Re: [IP] carb/ratios???

>>>To start practicing his carb-ratio stuff how would I figure out how much to give him??<<<

First, you don't have to get everything figured out for the basals and boluses yet.  Your doctor, assuming s/he is familiar with the pump, should be able to help you with that.  But counting carbs would be a good idea, before the appointment, just to show you are willing to do it.  Instead of figuring out the dose, though, simply count the total number of grams of carb in each meal and snack that he has.

Since the Cozmo is equipped with the capability of figuring the dose once a ratio is determined using the number of grams of carbs, I can't imagine that there would be a problem with you not doing the last step of division by the number of carbs per unit. It is a step the pump itself will not require.

The book *Pumping Insulin,* as well as the IP web site both have information on how you go about determining exactly what the carb ratio and basal amounts would be, so those would be good places to start, but the best you can do without the pump is to develop some rough estimates.  That is a project that hopefully your doctor can help walk you through.

Just count the total number of grams of carb in each meal, and that, along with careful records of what those meals were, what his blood sugars were, and how much insulin he took each day should be plenty, I should think.

Kristen dxd 1985, pumping since 1990