Re: [IP] Insulin/carb ratio

At 10:16 AM 10/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Shawna, pizza may be hard to figure, but  what Ryan has said is entirely
>made up.  A nice work of fiction.   There is no scientific basis for pizza
>releasing glucagon slowly over hours.
>   A more plausible hypothesis is based on evidence that lots of
> hormones/chemicals can transiently alter insulin sensitivity.  So think
> of yourself becoming more type 2 like for a few hours, where your muscles
> need more insulin to utilize the carbs.  I don't know of any specific
> evidence that would tie this to pizza or pasta, but there is no doubt
> that insulin sensitivity can vary over hours, days, or weeks.   Many
> things can change it, and as the most common example, we all know that
> exercise increases insulin sensitivity, often dramatically.

With the complex chemical reactions required for glycogen synthesis which
includes glucogon, It may not be as much of a fantasy as you'd like to
believe.   (I have looked at the biological process a couple of times AND
only have a simple idea of how it works.)

The process includes insulin and multiple other pancreatic
substances.......  And I must acknowledge that at least one of my
biological processes is %@#&$* up - The "messed up" part is definitely a
part of sugar regulation and includes glycogen and glucogon.

Take what you like and leave the rest,

Jim S.