[IP] How come the ratios don't add up?!

One thing I've always wondered, is why don't the ratios for insulin/carbs,
carbs/bg rise, and insulin/bg drop, equal up? It seems logical to me that I
should be able to cancel numerators and denominators and get some equivalent
fractions. But noooooo! That would make diabetes control way too
straightforward!  I don't think my son (he is the one with diabetes, I'm
just the neurotic Mom) is unique in this. The examples in pumping insulin
don't add up either. For example, my son has the following ratios:

  0.20 units of insulin drops his blood sugar 50 points
  10 grams of carbs raises his blood sugar 100 points
  0.20 units of insulin covers 10 grams of carbs

So given 0.20u/10gms and 10gms/100pts, wouldn't you think 0.20u would drop
his blood sugar 100 points rather than 50 points?!  Or, if the numbers for
corrections  and low BG treatment are right, why wouldn't he need
0.40u/10gms when he eats? If anyone understands the difference, please clue
me in!

I have to adjust Ryan's doses fairly often. When he is in good control, he
goes on a growth spurt, and needs readjusting all over again! He is just
getting over mono right now, that was interesting - he needed close to 20%
more insulin for a few weeks. Then he went back to normal - it took me a
while to spot since he was rebounding. Now I've cut his doses again and all
appears to be well - I think :)

I'd appreciate any theories/understanding of his mismatched ratios that
anyone can share,
Susan (mom to Ryan, almost 6 and pumping since 8/17/00, and Celia, 8 and