[IP] Flu/pneumonia shots

>>> Isn't the pneumonia shot a once a life time shot? <<<

>> I think I read that it's good for 10+ years and that the recommend
that older people have it again after that period of time.
Michael <<

According to the National Institute for Infectious Disease:

A single dose of pneumococcal vaccine is recommended for most persons aged
65 years or older.  Some people who were younger than 65 when they received
the pneumococcal vaccine may need one booster dose after 5 years.

Who should get pneumococcal vaccine?
1.  People who are 65 years of age or older.

2.  People two years of age or older who have a chronic illness such as
cardiovascular or pulmonary (lung) diseases, sickle cell disease, diabetes,
alcoholism, chronic liver diseases, or cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leaks.

3.  People with a weakened immune system due to illnesses such as HIV
infection, AIDS, chronic renal failure, organ transplantation, Hodgkin's
disease, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and those who have had their spleen
removed or whose spleen is dysfunctional due to an illness such as sickle
cell disease.

4.  Persons in environments or settings with increased risk of pneumococcal
disease, such as nursing homes or other long-term care facilities or certain
Native American or Alaska Native populations.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MiniMed 507 - 1998