[IP] Re: Insulin to Carb Ratio

Unless you are on a pump or Lantus insulin and are taking care of your basal
there will be no ratio which works for you (for any specific time of the
day) and the linear carb vs insulin line will not be passing through zero.
For example, I need to divide my carbs by 4 and then add 8 for my lunch dose
of Humalog and divide them by 5 and add 9 for my evening meals.  Note, the 8
and 9 are totally independent of the amount of carbs because I am not on
Lantus or a pump and am only taking Humalog during the day.

> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:20:38 -0400
> From: Shawna <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Re:  Insulin to Carb Ratio
> My ratio is 8:1 in the morning and 10:1 in the evening and I'm extremely
sensitive to insulin (Novolog).  I average about 12-13 units a day total.
However, I also find that certain foods have their own ratio.  For instance,
salad or vegetables may require only 12 or 14:1, and my numbers stay
relatively flat, but a higher-glycemic index food (like a burrito or pasta)
might need 8 or 7:1, and my numbers still spike afterwards.  I'm having a
hard time finding the right balance for foods like those - numbers either
too high afterwards or too low, so I'm eliminating those things from my
diet.  I have my best results when I follow Dr. Bernstein's diet.