[IP] RE: Thyroid scan

Let's see if I can piece this together for you since I was diagnosed with
overactive thyroid last summer.
First I had to go to the hospital (out-patient) and swallow a tracer pill.  I
went home and returned in a couple hours for a scan where they make you sit
really still and put a machine on your neck, and your thigh (yes, your thigh).
They take measurements and then send you home.  The next day you return for
more of the same.

Then there was a thirty minute scan where you had to lay nice and still on a
table for about that long.  They put a tracer chemical in by IV, you dont feel
it and it doesn't make you sick. They then do a whole series of films on your
thyroid to see what the results will be.

If I remember correctly, they didn't want me to eat any seafood or fish.  I
didn't have any other restrictions, and it wasn't hard to comply.

Now I know for some this is a vague unscientific explanation, but it's getting
late and I didn't feel like writing in technical terms.

All told, it isn't scary for an adult and I didn't even need my husband with
me.  A younger person might appreciate someone being there