Re:[IP] ACE Inhibitors

In a message dated 10/1/2002 4:46:04 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>    So I guess my advice would be to find out WHY your endo is so opposed to
> you taking an ACE inhibitor. Have you been screened recently for
> proteinuria
> or microalbuminuria?? Unless someone invents a genetic decoder ring that
> "lights up" in those people genetically predisposed to get or not get
> complications from diabetes in the future, I believe it behooves all of us
> be as educated, as proactive &as empowered as possible to optimize the
> health of those living with diabetes today

I have had nothing show up in any yearly 24 hr urine test.  No proteinuria or
anything else...my endo says I don't need to take an ACE inhibitor, she tends
to be on the conservative side.  Last time I saw her I asked about it again.
She said that it does work in reversing the proteinuria in people who already
having them show up.  There has not been a study that shows for sure that it
stops it from happening in the first place before it has started, does that
make sense?  She says it is a logical conclusion that it would keep it from
happening but there is no proof.  She left it in my lap last time, she'll
prescribe it if I want it.  I wasn't sure, not sure about the side effects or
other long term harm in ACE inhibitors.  I do know that if it was my son that
had the diabetes instead of me I would want him to take it just in case in
might help keep it from happening.  I've had diabetes for more than 21 years
now with no signs of kidney disease or any eye disease (my eye dr said there
is no telling from looking in my dilated eyes that I even am a diabetic) but
that is not a guarantee it wouldn't or couldn't happen at 25 or 30 or 40
years.  Hard to know what to do unless I look at it from the perspective that
I want to do everything I can to make sure I'm going to be here for my son as
long as possible.
I wish there was a definite yes or no answer to this one.

Faith and sweetie pie, my mighty blue dtron
diabetic 21+ years and glad to be here