[IP] Certain pump for kidlets....

On 10/14/02 5:15 PM, "insulin-pumpers-digest" <email @ redacted>

>> now over two years old and has had it since he was 10 days old.  He has just
>> recently been upgraded to the minimed Paradigm.  I recommend this
>> particular
>> pump for children for many reasons.
>>     1. It is 1/3 smaller than the other pumps
But in its belt case it is as big as my H-TRON.

>>     2.  It is waterproof (You never can tell what a child will do with
>> something they wear 24 hours a day.  Better to be safe than sorry.)
Have you checked out Animas or Deltec?

>>     3.  It has a lock out devise that allows you to use a remote control.
>> This is useful if you think your daughter may be curious about the buttons.
>> It is fairly difficult to deliver an accidental dose of insulin, but the
>> added safety is nice.
Aren't there other pumps with a 'Parental lock'?
>>     4.  My doctor stated that he would not prescribe any other brand
>> because
>> there could be a risk of static electricity surges with them.  Of course,
>> as
>> you know, with a child, even a small dose of unnecessary insulin can be
>> dangerous.
Indeed, I heard from this list here a LOT of Electrostatic trouble was with
the MM 508.

I use an H-TRON and never had a beef with it. I also seldom hear of
Electrostatic trouble in relation to Paradigm and OTHER pumps.

The choice should be yours based on being fully informed. The doc sounds a
tad biased.

You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think.
Jenny Sutherland