Re: [IP] More on sweeteners, science, and . . .

Wayne <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Just for the record, I don't know of any first rate medical journals
> that work peer reveiw that way.  It's actually the other way round,
> i.e, the authors don't know the reviewers.

First, I apologize for prematurely hitting the "send" button.

Actually, while some blind the reviewers to the authors, it is usually the
reviewers who don't know the authors.  That way they are able to concentrate
on what has been written, not who has written it.

Some journals send the comments of the reviewers directly to the authors,
with the reviewers names and addresses should the authors wish to discuss
the comments with the reviewers.  If that happens then (authors responding
to comments), of course, it is no longer blinded.  In other cases, the
editors will compile the comments and not reveal the names of the reviewers.
In still other cases it is the editors that do the review (Lancet, for

In some cases where the reviewers and authors are unblinded, the exchange(s)
between them will become part of the overall publication.

Jim Handsfield