[IP] More on sweeteners, science, and . . .

Ryan Bruner <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Look it up for yourself, you'll find that there
> is evidence showing that aspartame has numerous known side-effects.

Oh, I have.  And they are not known side effects, they are *reported* side
effects from people making testimonials.  No research has ever found an
association betweek aspartame and these reported effects.  As far as I've
ever been able to glean is that aspartame is extremely dangerous for people
with phenylketone urea (PKU) because it contains phenylalanine.

> You have to weed through some of the information, though, out
> there...which was what my friend's paper tried to do...get through
> the "hype" and to the actual facts.

So far, the "actual facts" are that aspartame is benign for most people
(except the aforementioned people with PKU).  The so called poisons produced
by breakdown (such as formaldehyde) actually occur in far smaller
concentrations than one gets by eating a good sized portion of many green

Now don't get me wrong . . . if you think that consuming products with
aspartame is bad for you, then don't consume them.  But the rest is just
scare tactics with no basis in science.  Oh, and just because an author has
an MD after his or her name, does not mean that there is not some other
agenda.  Some of the worst researchers I've had to work with are physicians.
The test of sound research is publication in a journal that subjects
manuscripts to blinded peer review (that is, the identity of the author(s)
is not disclosed to the reviewers).  This is usually quite a rigorous
process.  I've seen several papers rejected for publication because the
project did not represent good scholarship.

And now I'm done.

Jim Handsfield