[IP] RE: cortisone shots for frozen shoulder

>Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:09:34 EDT
>From: email @ redacted
>Subject: [IP] cortisone shots/for frozen shoulder

>Hi, i have frozen shoulder also known as adhesive capulitus. i have been
>going to physical therapy, which makes my range of motion much better. my
>orthopedic dr, who is a highly recommended doctor, suggested i get the shot
>for the pain i still have. i spoke to my endo who said try celbrex first,
>which i did. but pain is still there. i assume the shot is for pain but
>to help me be able to strech the area, when i am doing pt 2 to 3 days a
>i heard and read what i can do to blood sugars. so i am going to see
>orthopedic dr tomorrow, may be getting shot. my cde said i may have to
>my basal rates but see how my bs are after the shot first. anyone have this
>done, did your bs stay high for days, or just the day. i am worried, not
>what to do thanks Eileen

Hi Eileen,

I also suffered from a frozen shoulder two years ago...and did the P.T., 800
mg Ibuprophen, then Celebrex.  I finally had 3 cortisone shots in my left
shoulder, and it made all the difference in the world!  During the first 18
hours my shoulder was in more pain, but the next morning I was completely
free of the pain! I still needed a course of physical therapy to help with
the range of motion.

The shots were injected directly into the joint -- so the rise in blood
glucose was not that dramatic, my blood sugars were moderately higher for a
couple of days.  (I've had to take prednisone pills before, and that sent my
blood sugars way out of control -- I had to triple the insulin.)  Just be
sure to test your blood sugar frequently and take extra insulin if your body
responds to the shot with higher sugars.

Good Luck!

Dx 1978...pumping since 1983!