Re: [IP] Arsenic in Diet drinks?

> This is based on a lot of scare talk, that as far as I can tell, is
> based on any scientific evidence whatsoever. It's mainly aimed at
> sweetened with aspartame (Equal). The poison they normally cite is
> formaldehyde not arsenic, though.

Well, the jury is still out on aspartame.  :-)  There are several KNOWN
side-effects of aspartame, some more serious than others.  I had a
friend who did a research project on the affects of asparatame, and his
results were certainly eye-opening.

The biggest side-effect that I noticed was loss of short-term memory.
THis is a known side-effect.  I found that I had a hard time
remembering things that were just told me, etc.  This is more than just
the normal, "WHere did I just put my keys?" thing.  For example, my
wife would tell me to do something, and literally 10 seconds later, I
couldn't remember what she just said.  (This sounds more alarming than
it was...it was more subtle, and I thought that it was normal, since
everyone jokes about forgetting stuff.)

Anyhow, after my friend's research paper, I decided to cut back on
aspartame.  I was getting it in diet drinks, cereal (putting equal on
my cereal), yogurt (eating the "lite" yogurts), etc.  So, I stopped
using equal, and starting eating regular yogurt instead of lite (thanks
to carb-counting).  I also reduced my diet drink intake dramatically.
The result?  Within a week I noticed a HUGE improvement in my short-
term memory.

Since then, my diet drink intake has increased a bit, and I've noticed
the accompanying loss of short-term memory...but not enough to worry
about.  I do prefer using the drinks that are sweetened with sucralose
and/or Acesulfame-K over aspartame.  However, there is concern that
acesulfame-K might be a carcinogen...and there are concerns now over
sucralose...though only based on it's chemical make-up...not because of
any firm scientific data.