Re: [IP] Arsenic in Diet drinks?

At 06:15 PM 10/13/2002 email @ redacted wrote:
>Hi there,
>   I have a question that I hope someone here knows something about.  My
>Mother just called me to tell me that a friend of hers who is diabetic has
>been very sick with Aresenic poisoning.  The doctor is telling her she got
>the poisoning from diet drinks & imitation sugar.  I have never heard of
>anything like this & thought maybe someone here would know.

This is based on a lot of scare talk, that as far as I can tell, is not
based on any scientific evidence whatsoever. It's mainly aimed at drinks
sweetened with aspartame (Equal). The poison they normally cite is
formaldehyde not arsenic, though.

If you are still really concerned, there are soft drinks (like Diet Rite)
which use Splenda instead.