Re: [IP] antarctic walker a VENT

Yes, Sara - everything you said is what I meant in my post below.

Here's my problem with a diabetic doing extraordinary things such as walking
to the south pole, etc. that we hear about.   When your son gives his report
and mentions the person has diabetes, it gives people the impression that if
you can do something this magnificent and adventurous, etc., that diabetes
must not be that limiting or that serious of a disease.  I mean, this is one
person out of a million doing this.  But the kids won't stop to think about
that - they'll just get the message that a diabetic can do anything - and
they can't.  Let's face it.  This guy's going to have numerous problems a
person without diabetes doesn't have to give a 2nd thought to.  I'm sure he's
taken all kinds of precautions so his insulin won't freeze, extra carbs,
extra diabetic supplies, etc., but he has to give much, much more thought and
deliberation into making this walk than a non-diabetic and it just doesn't
lend itself to getting people to donate money for research, fund raisers,
etc., when we have things like this happening.  Just my thoughts. Also, while
I at it - I don't like the message the Am. Diabetes Assn puts out that "you
may have diabetes and not know it".  Again, people think - well, it can't be
THAT bad if you can have it and not KNOW it.  As we all know, when our
children are diagnosed, we know it within days OR THEY'RE DEAD!  Two of mine
almost were.  So they need to get a new slogan - what they're talking about,
I'm sure, is TYPE II, - they kind that can be PREVENTED!  Both of these
things I have brought up mislead the public.  And that's why we're not
getting the funds for research.   Tammy

In a message dated 10/12/02 3:09:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time, email @ redacted