[IP] antarctic walker a VENT

WARNING...this is a LIVID, angry post - I am upset about Do-Ya-Wanna and a
few other things, and reading about Will this morning just SET me off.   YOU
KNOW IF my posts piss you off, so save yourself the agony and delete now.
THIS is a VENT and  NO RESPONSE from anyone is required.

I met Will Cross last april at a DESA sponsored event in NYC and while I
thought he had a lot of neat qualities, including drive and ambition, I also
thought his plan to walk across antarctica was idiotic!!!  i still do, and
after reading the article am shocked at the dis-service he is doing to
diabetics everywhere (or people with diabetes for you politically correct

He was NOT on an insulin pump in April and at that time was very adamant
about how the pump could NOT work on his trip, citing how difficult the site
change woudl be in zero degrees  (and that is IN the tent), as well as
worrying about the insulin freezing in the tubing, and worrrying about the
cicuitry not working in that cold of an environment...guess he changed his
mind.  he also told us at that time that he had already used the stick of
butter trick in his hot chocolate every morning for the first trip - you'd
think he stick with the chocolate for this next trip instead of going to the
calorie free coffee - chocolate with butter isn't such a butt clinchingly
gross idea, (think fudge, when you first drop in that tablespoon of
butter...yummmmm(, but coffee with butter...ewwwwwwwww

He also told the group that he did NOT test his blood sugar much throughout
the day on the first trip, and did no plan to  on the antarctic trip either,
as exposing the skin was so dangerous.  He said he went on by "how he
felt..."  I hope he doesn't DRIVE that way too!!  I assume that since he is
on a pump now, he has figured out a way to test more often???

What a great bonus to science this trip is gonna be!!! If he did have a
doctor along, to monitor his body chemistry, heart rate etc, I could see the
validity of the trip...just him and his buddy, and then his dad and an
exercise pysiologist along for the end, sounds like a couple of mid life
crisis, thrill seeking men with an over abundance of testosterone out for
some attention!!

This guy has a wife and several kids but does he worry about them in his
galavanting around the world to raise a MERE million bucks?  Jerry Lewis
raising alot more than that in a weekend and doesn't have to risk his life,
as well as the lives of the people who have to help him!  There are better
and more efficient ways to bring attention to diabetes, and proving you are
SUPERMAN, in my not so humble opinion, is not the way to do it!

Such a great example he is setting...the crappy diet...fine - if you are a
"normal" guy bulking up for a trek across antarctica, but how in the hell is
this diet, or this trip in general, going to HELP teach us anything about
diabetes?  At what temperature does insulin freeze and lose its
effectiveness.  Do syringe needles pierce skin that has been exposed to 40
degrees below zero for longer than 5 seconds?  Oh very important knowledge i
am SURE. If we are going to use all these resources and put so many lives at
stake, why  not do it for something that will have a POSITIVE impact?  He
says he wants to test his "system" against diabetes!  What system is that?
eat crap, work out a lot, live through freezing nights, and NOT die of
hypoglycemia, or hyperthermia?  hmmm what a contribution!

He says in the article that we know "embarrassingly little" about what
happens to our bodies in extreme stress...well, if you are going to spend
other people's money on this study, don't you think it ought to be applicable
to MORE than maybe 2 people a CENTURY?  he is going to ADD embarrasingly
little to the body of usable, applicable knowledge. anything he learns on
this trip (and I don't know HOW, if he isn't monitoring his blood sugar
constantly - like i would like him to do it with a glucowatch on!!!) is going
to be useful to just about NO one!

Furthermore, the article was full of inaccuracies, for example, it says "This
disease strikes children suddenly."  It does not mention the FACT that it
does strike adults too!!!  Or perhaps we are all just really type 2s who, if
we lost a few pounds and didn't eat so much chocolate, we wouldn't have to
take insulin.  I also love that line: "Chocolate -- off limits to Cross most
his life because it's loaded with sugar, a hazard for diabetics -- will be a
routine part of his meals."  LOLOL....chocolate was even listed in the ADA
exchange diet book i got 29 years ago - it is not, and never has been "off
limits," any more than apple juice, pizza or potato chips have been....And
even less so today, with better insulins and more accurate carb counting!
Then it says his insulin pump delivers insulin (or the "life-sustaining
hormone") through an injection hole.  Oh that is NICE!!!!

He says "He sees himself as a guinea pig for diabetics when it comes to
understanding how wild food combinations and extreme weather conditions will
affect him."  How is he a guinea pig for ME or YOU in this situation?  He is
a guinea pig for his own selfish reasons!

I am with his students who think this is a "silly" thing to do....