Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:13:28 -0400
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP]Diabetic plans to walk to south pole to raise money

Here's my problem with a diabetic doing extraordinary things such as
walking to the south pole, etc. that we hear about.   When your son gives
his report and mentions the person has diabetes, it gives people the
impression that if you can do something this magnificent and adventurous,
etc., that diabetes must not be that limiting or that serious of a disease.
I mean, this is one person out of a million doing this.  But the kids won't
stop to think about that - they'll just get the message that a diabetic can
do anything - and they can't.  Let's face it.  This guy's going to have
numerous problems a person without diabetes doesn't have to give a 2nd
thought to.  I'm sure he's taken all kinds of precautions so his insulin
won't freeze, extra carbs, extra diabetic supplies, etc., but he has to
give much, much more thought and deliberation into making this walk than a
non-diabetic and it just doesn't lend itself to getting people to donate
money for research, fund raisers, etc.!
, when we have things like this happening.  Just my thoughts. Also, while I
at it - I don't like the message the Am. Diabetes Assn puts out that "you
may have diabetes and not know it".  Again, people think - well, it can't
be THAT bad if you can have it and not KNOW it.  As we all know, when our
children are diagnosed, we know it within days OR THEY'RE DEAD!  Two of
mine almost were.  So they need to get a new slogan - what they're talking
about, I'm sure, is TYPE II, - they kind that can be PREVENTED!  Both of
these things I have brought up mislead the public.  And that's why we're
not getting the funds for research.   Tammy