Re: [IP] Causing your own Hypo

In a message dated 10/11/2002 8:48:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted writes:

> Whatever WORKS for you is what is important and your method
> cannot be criticized.

My daughter started pumping in March 1996, pre-Humalog days. When Humalog became available that fall, she tried it on 2 separate occasions, only to find that she'd go low an hour after the meal, & then consistently run in the 300s in the middle of the night. A few months later, we ran into her pump trainer at a JDRF event, & she too related her feelings of being a "Humalog failure", UNTIL she tried bolusing AFTER she finished eating. Melissa tried that approach & VOILA: Humalog success.
   Even on MDI, I'd always contended that she metabolized s-l-o-w-l-y ( which her ped endos discounted!)& that her insulin wasn't lasting as long as it took HER body to process what she'd consumed.
   As George so clearly stated (and which the recent "diabetic" thread corroborated), just because 4000 members at IP share the commonality of diabetes, doesn't mandate that they have to share a commonality of approaches or philosophies.... which is precisely WHY this is such a priceless resource & a "safe haven" from "others" telling YOU that YOUR approach can't possibly be correct for YOU.
Renee (Melissa's pump mom/advocate)