[IP] Re: Diabetes and the Legal System

Chance Said:

>Secondly, is there anything thing under Americans With Disabilities >Act
>that protects or grants understanding in a situation like this?

First, just so there's no confusion, when I say "ADA" in this message, I
mean "Americans with Disabilities Act".

As far as the glucose tablet issue goes, prisons, police stations, etc. etc.
are *public* facilities and must be accessible to all persons with
disabilities by means of Reasonable Accomodation.  In the case of a
diabetic, Reasonable Accomodation means either allowing a person to eat
whatever they use for lows or getting them something as a substitute.
Diabetes is specifically mentioned in the ADA as a disability, and in the
case of a low, it is undoubtedly disabling.

I'm not sure if the ADA would help in the situation with the store.

A local Independent Living Center or Vocational Rehabilitation Commission
would be able to connect you with the facility or person in your area that
would be able to help you pursue this, if you and your client decide to.

Weird Jenn
email @ redacted
AIM:  jspock1
ICQ:  25177424