[IP] RE: "a diabetic" vs. "diabetic"

>>>As to those that don't see a difference between "being a diabetic" and "having diabetes" I extend my sympathy.  I must assume that you miss other subtle denotations in English and miss much of the poetry and meaning expressed in English when properly used.<<<

I have, many times referred to myself as a diabetic.  I definitely see it as a part of who I am.  My experiences with diabetes have helped me to grow and shape the person that I am.  Does that mean that diabetes defines the person that I am?  Of course not.  I simply see no reason to presume that the intent of someone applying the diabetic label is to define the entirity of who I am.

And I find the above statement condescending and presumptuous.  I've been told that I'm good with finding "just the right word."  I love the English language and gain great pleasure from using just the right words, the ones that express exactly what I am thinking.  I don't miss the beauty of the English language when properly used.  I simply prefer not to make mountains out of verbal molehills.  There is a difference.

Those who don't let political correctness color their speech are not old, ignorant creatures of habit.  We simply think that there are far more important things to worry about than the difference between being a diabetic and having diabetes.

Call me whatever you care to call me as far as diabetes is concerned.  I couldn't care less.

Kristen -- dxd 1985, pumping since 1990

"Free price comparison tool gives you the best prices and cash back!"