[IP] Re: Diabetes and the Legal System...HELP!

Although I don't have any legal expertise, a couple thoughts come
to mind:

You said the total of the groceries in her cart didn't match anything
on the register she "thought" she went through.  Did they check all
the other registers as well?  If she did pay for the groceries, that
total (and the itemized list of what she bought) should be on one of

This may be a silly question, but were her groceries in store bags?
If so, to me that would seem to be a strong indication that she DID
go through a line and pay.

Even if it turns out she (inadvertently) didn't pay, perhaps the store
could be persuaded to drop the charges?  It seems pretty clear
from what you've told us that she wasn't *intending* to shoplift, and
the store got everything back, so it didn't lose anything.  I see very
little benefit (to the store or anyone else) in prosecuting her.

If the store won't listen to reason and is determined to prosecute
her, perhaps some local media coverage of the situation might
change their mind?  (if she would be amenable to that).

As for the officer who wouldn't allow her to eat glucose tabs while
low -- although again I don't have any legal expertise, I think she
should look into filing a complaint.  If he couldn't let her eat her own
glucose tab, he had a responsibility to find her something else
sugary to eat.  He put her in serious danger by refusing to allow her
to treat her low.  Did this happen in the store parking lot or at the
police station?  If it happened at the police station, does that mean
she walked 45 minutes back to her car w/ a bg (by the time she
got there) of 24??  Yikes!  I'm glad she made it okay!

I hope everything turns out okay for her!  Your concern for your
patients is wonderful.