[IP] Re: "a diabetic" vs. "diabetic"

I thought long and hard about sharing this with the group, but I decided that
I was going to. Matt, I apologize, but you set yourself up for this. I
received several emails from various group members commending me for the
email I sent regarding this issue. So if I am paranoid about being attacked,
then I guess there are others as well.

I realize that in my posting my spelling and grammar where off. Turns my BG
was 58. But I feel that my point was taking by many people. I respect every
person on this list. By joining a list such as this one we are all actively
doing something to help us live with the daily grind of diabetes. This list
is not intended to bash one another, and there may be people who think that I
am bashing Matt right now. My intention is only to open Matt's eyes to the
FACT that there are differing opinions as to this subject and not one person
besides himself has attacked the opposing opinion. Becky very eloquently
proved that she has a wonderful mastery of the English language. Diabetes is
what binds us all together. We are fighting the same fight here. Arguing over
the PCness of what you want to be called after you are diagnosed with this
illness is not going to accomplish anything. A reason that I have stuck with
this group is because of the diverse opinions. I have learned so much.
Bellow, as you will see, Matt states that a person who does not speak to him
with respect will loose credibility. Then Matt, I beg of you to take your own
advice. I never meant to 'speak' to you with a lack of respect. I apologize
if you took it that way, it was never intended.  90% of communication is
nonverbal, 10% verbal. Email make it hard to tell exactly what a person is
communicating and it sets the stage for misunderstandings. Personally, I hold
the person who dislikes being called diabetic with the utmost regard. Why?
Because that person is standing up for their opinion. I may not get upset
when I am referred to as diabetic, but that does not mean that respect cannot
be giving to me.  I am angered by the fact the Matt, bellow, implies that I
do not read. He says: READ DAMN IT. I read, in fact I read a lot. Not just
for school, but for my personal enjoyment. This has nothing to do with the
fact that I am fighting everyday to ensure that I will live a long and
healthy life with this disease. I do not feel that "a diabetic" is a faceless
victim, as Matt implies. I am a student, a friend, a sister, a daughter, all
these do not imply that I am faceless. If being called "a diabetic" a
faceless victim, I can understand, but I do not feel that way. Please respect
that. Each of us are human beings here. All I ask is that we respect each
other. We all come from different backgrounds. Live different lives. The way
I look at diabetes may greatly differ from how you look at and how the person
down the street looks at it. It is more of an attack to privately email an
email such as the one bellow that Matt wrote then to post it to the entire