Re: [IP] Advice for prospective pumper

In a message dated 10/8/2002 6:25:21 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Then, about ketones.  Is there a way to test for ketones that gives more
> accurate results than ketostix?  I mean, it takes a while making ketones
> before you start to excrete them.  And how do you know where you are while
> you're waiting.

The Precision Xtra meter has blood ketone testing strips that give you a
real-time, digital measurement of blood ketone levels in about 30 seconds
from a finger poke.  They are a bit pricey when you buy the ketone strips
separately ($3-4 each if I remember correctly), but if you are getting your
glucose test strips covered by insurance and you can switch to using the Xtra
meter for your BG testing, you do get some ketone strips "free" along with
the BG strips (4 per 100, I think).

If you're worried about the idea that it is theoretically easier to end up in
DKA when you're pumping because you don't have any long acting insulin on
board, you may be reassured to know that the recent studies all show that the
*actual* incidence of DKA was found to be essentially the same for pumpers as
for those on injections.  Basically, what shows up when they study who ends
up in the hospital being treated for DKA it's pretty much either due to poor
managment/compliance (i.e. not testing, purposely not taking insulin) or due
to other illness (both causes being unrelated to whether you're pumping or on

Pumpmama to Katie