[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
  [Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

[IP] Re: "a diabetic" vs. "diabetic"

> With regard to those
> that don't see it as an issue - fine.  Just be aware that there are 
> of
> us that may view you as having less creditability because you use (in 
> opinion) outmoded terminology.
 >As to those that don't see a difference between "being a 
>diabetic" and
>"having diabetes" I extend my sympathy.  I must assume that you miss 
>subtle denotations in English and miss much of the poetry and meaning
>expressed in English when properly used.>>

when i start concerning myself with people's opinion of my "credibility" based on whether i use
the current trendy terminology, i'll let y'all know. it likely won't be soon =)

as for sympathy, you will find it in your mailbox with a smiley face, a cookie and a "return to
sender" label. my major here at good ol' WM is in english/comparative literature, and my thesis on
the nature of emotionally charged language use in eighteenth-century poetry is forthcoming; in
other words, the assumption that those of us who do not agree with your point of view are unwashed
Philistines is, unfortunately, quite incorrect. 

moreover, one's agreement or disagreement on whether they are a noun or a lugubrious,
adjective-laden conglomerate has nothing to do with their understanding of the english language.
with this, their adoption or non-adoption of language imposed by the self-appointed intelligentsia
has nothing to do with either their education level or their intelligence-- and neither their
intelligence nor their education level has anything to do with the reason they joined this list. 
there are diabetics here with doctoral degrees and diabetics here who haven't got their high
school diplomas, and every single one of them has a part in the community here; there is no place
whatsoever on the IP list for this sort of intellectual snobbery.

i happen to prefer the term "diabetic" when it is appropriate to use a noun. this is not to
circumscribe my identity to diabetes alone; i am a lot of things. i simply would rather use nouns
rather than a string of adjectives modifying the word "person". isn't it obvious already that i am
a person? does the fact that i am diabetic lesson my personhood? i'm not so insecure as to think
that it does; and so therefore i have no compunctions about calling myself a diabetic. i'm a
diabetic, a woman, a student, a nerd who likes to use big words; my use of the term "diabetic"
rather than "person with diabetes" simply means that you all have two fewer words to read when i
spout this drivel, leaving me more room to use terms like "lugubrious." and when i spout, i
contend that it is not the terminology we use for diabetes that is outmoded; rather, it's the
ideas that people hold that are out of date. changing words around is not going to change this
fact, and when we pay lip service to terminology use rather than real social/intellectual change
we are wasting our time. i, and all of us, are better served by teaching people about diabetes
than by cringing or glaring when they use a particular word.

 if anyone prefers the term "person with diabetes" to "diabetic", i applaud him/her so long as it
is for a better reason than to not appear "outmoded" (have we not left the obsession with "the
latest thing" behind with seventh grade??) or to join the latest offense-taking identity group. if
anyone here has a reason to do so that does not boil down to one of these two things, i sincerely
salute you, and welcome you to email it to me.

becky =) (diagnosed dx'd 1/24/92 at age 10, pumping since 11/21/01)

Do you Yahoo!?
Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos & More
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
send a DONATION http://www.Insulin-Pumpers.org/donate.shtml