[IP] Re: teenager in school

> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 03:03:58 EDT
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Attendance at school.
> My hubby asked me to post to the lists tonight regarding an arguement
> we were having earlier.
> He needs to socially interact with his peers at school.    So, are we
> the unusual case?   Or, do/have some of you dealt with this?
> And when do boys quit being so hormonal?   (Only used to dealing
> with hormonal teenage girls!  LOL)
> Sincerely,
> Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary (12 1/2,  Dx 2/93, 508 2/02,
> Paradigm  8/16/02) --------Jennifer (20), Allison (17), Rachel (6)
> Fenton, MO
> email @ redacted
> Independent Kitchen Consultant for THE PAMPERED CHEF.

We have a similar problem too, My son did terrible through middle school, was
diagnosed in 8th grade and failed terribly. The school actually told me that
they didnt have any children that missed days intermittingly, (is that a
word?) lol. But they did have children that missed alot of days at once, :/
Therefore, they knew how to handle those situations more appropiately. Go
A school with over 900 children some with severe disabilities? Still find
myself puzzled by that one.
However, he was passed on to 9th grade and high school, because his FCAT
scores were so high and they didnt feel like holding him back would benefit
He LOVES high school, is now in 10th grade, grades could be better, much
He was playing football, varsity and junior varsity however due to excessive
abscenses he can not play at this time....caused his grades to deteriorate
School still doesnt give him alot of support when it comes to him being
absent because he is a"DIABETIC" that was a joke...sorry matt and others.
I have found that his hormones have been raging since around 7th grade, hence
the middle school nitemare! Middle school is tough..for many different
reasons. Heck, I even remember it.
All in all, with or without the schools support of his illness related
absences, he is primarily going to have to be responsible for his
actions...if he misses school he has to get the make-up work himself and do
it. I do stay involved, and I am always here for support, and Yes I do go
down to the school and have conferences with the teachers, nurses, and
administrators. But because he is diabetic and will have to live with it
until a cure, he has to be responsible for it. I provide him with the
necassary tools and education for him to excel, but ultimately it his him
that has to
be responsible for himself.
Dont get me wrong I have battled for him many times, but I dont want this to
be his crutch.
On another note.....he went to Diabetes camp this past weekend, bring a
friend weekend. He stated that most of them were not pumping, that amazed me.
I thought we where the minority. And what worries me even more is the fact
that some of them dont check BG's at all. What a good motivator to help him
check more, he only likes to test maybe once or twice daily as it is, :/
 Hang in there....it is suppose to get better soon.........:):):)