Re: [IP] RE: "a diabetic" vs. "diabetic"

----- Original Message -----
From: "Just Me" <email @ redacted>
To: "Insulin Pumpers" <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 2:06 AM
Subject: [IP] RE: "a diabetic" vs. "diabetic"

I would just like to say that I have called myself a diabetic for over 30
years.  I also call myself a wife versus "having a husband," a mother versus
"having a child," and so on.  I understand that no one wants to be labeled
by a disease.  I strongly believe that diabetes has a strong impact on ALL
areas of my life, no matter how much I want to deny it.

I take offense to your post.  I am not less credible than you nor do I lack
knowledge or expertise of the English language.  Remember that words are
just like numbers in statistics.  Words can be manipulated just as easy as
numbers.  I choose to live my life by looking at the big picture and enjoy
all that life has provided for me.  There are numerous times when someone
else has made comments about my diabetes that were totally inaccurate and
then I politely correct the person. (ie-- if my sugar is lower than 200 I am
having a reaction and I better have some juice)  However, I am no less of a
person because I call myself a diabetic  I call myself diabetic because I am

Please also remember the adage regarding the word "assume"

  Just be aware that there are those of