[IP] RE: "a diabetic" vs. "diabetic"

It's not my intent to bring this up to upset people.  With regard to those
that don't see it as an issue - fine.  Just be aware that there are those of
us that may view you as having less creditability because you use (in my
opinion) outmoded terminology.

Regarding that there are similar terms - hemophiliac, sociopath, asthmatic,
and so on, I think you will find that these are old terms (50+ years in use)
that more recent chronic diseases don't have such constructions - "lyme
diseasers", "chronic fatigue syndromic", or "Alzeheimeric".  It isn't a
coincidence - it is how modern people write and speak.

That "a diabetic" is a shorter form or less awkward - I seldom find this
actually the case, though it may be in some situations.  Critically look at
your next issue of _Diabetes Forecast_, I doubt you will find diabetic" and
I seldom finding the writing awkward.  As a side note when I was DX in '81
the university clinic physician told me I had "the diabetes".  I knew from
that alone I didn't want him part of my care team.

As to those that don't see a difference between "being a diabetic" and
"having diabetes" I extend my sympathy.  I must assume that you miss other
subtle denotations in English and miss much of the poetry and meaning
expressed in English when properly used.

As for Becky's comparison with "African American person" & "black".  Why
"African American person" and not just "African American"?  Besides I see
the terms as having two difference meanings.  "Black" refers to a set of
characteristics and heritage (race is a scientifically meaningless term, now
avoided by and large), "African American" is one having those
characteristics (or some of them) that chooses to be a US citizen.  While
you may have no difficulty with your identity as a "girl", I have been with
African American acquaintances that are very uncomfortable with "boy" due to
its historic use (and lack of respect) for any black male.

As for being a "pumper", I see that as a choice, one that doesn't "brand" me
a victim of a chronic disease.  In fact I see "pumper" a positive reaction
to our disease.  I am doing something proactive to fight diabetes and its
associated complications.