Re: [IP] Where to donate unused meds?

> There have been lots of posts about donating insulin pumps and extra
> pump supplies on this list. Does anybody know where we could donate
> unused, unopened, unexpired prescription meds to somebody that could
> use them?

Institutionally it's a little tricky. Pumps and most of their
supplies are prescription items subject to certain controls. IP has
set up procedures to handle pumps, but other presecription items
would create a problem if distribution was done without the proper
documents, liscenses, etc... Finding someone your self more or less
circumvents this difficulty because there is no effort to police
individual gifts. Setting up a clearing house to do this would be
difficult to say the least and would most certainly involve
eventual sanction by the FDA eventually. If you give the meds to a
doctor or an organization run by doctors, they can dispense them
directly to their patients without any difficulty, but you and I can