Re: [IP] Self-Employed Insurance Question

On 10/6/02 4:10 PM, "Laura Shapiro" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Hi All:  My husband and I are wondering if as self-employed people with only
> two employees (us) are we best off financially with an HMO?  I get 300 strips
> per month for $20, and most of my meds are at a $20 co-pay.  So are doctor's
> visits.  Pump supplies are twenty percent paid, and pumps are 80 percent
> paid.
> We pay over $460 per month and it seems like a lot, but are we best to stay
> with that kind of deal?  Our physicians are limited to two hospital systems (I
> am almost out of Endos) but we like most of our doctors just fine.
> Opinions would be appreciated, (No solicitations from agents though!).

Is that $460 each?   I'm in the situation of having my premiums jump up 46%
this year.   My wife and I work together and have insurance through an
industry association.  We had changed from a PPO to the HMO to save a little
money on premiums, but I'm going to look  at the premiums on the PPO again.
With the number of meds we co-pay for and Doctors we see it may be cheaper
that way.  I would think if you were getting an HMO at $460 each that would
be a bit high.  But then I'm comparing this to rates in Texas.   Your State
May Vary!

George      :>)