Re: [IP] RE: breastfeeding and diabetes

The biggest problem I had were the severe lows for the first 6 weeks each
time I
nursed.   It didn't matter that my BG was 150 prior to nursing, I would
still drop to the 30's or 40's when I nursed.  No one could figure it out---
my basals were appropriate and I even accounted for the extra 200 calories
needed to nurse.

The hormones released during breastfeeding and the extra energy used
during milk production decreases the amount of insulin you need.

Studies done by Butte (1987) and Davies (1989) found that after birth
breastfeeding mothers needed to decrease their insulin dose by 27% to
avoid hypoglycemic reasctions.   (Naturally this is a YMMV issue.)

Breastfeeding also tends to make diabetes more manageable for a mom
following birth because it is the body's natural response to childbirth and
the hormones responsible for the act of lactation cause the physiological
changes to occur more gradually.

Fenton, MO