Re: [IP] school nurse

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Kay Guy wrote:

>  It is a California state law that glucagon training has to be conducted
> by a credentialed school nurse.
>
> We have our 504 meeting Monday and I'm sure that they will make me take
> out the glucagon part of the document. I guess parents do not really have
> much say about the content of 504's. I verified this by checking the 504

Quite the contrary. Any reasonable medical requirement is up to you. Note
the "reasonable". Glucagon is reasonable. The school does not have to like
it, nor do they have to agree. Their choice is to give up federal funds
:-)

Since I rather suspect that they do not wish to give up federal funds,
then you more or less have them over a barrel. If they do not agree then
you will have to file a complaint, but in the end, you will get your
wishes for proper care for your daughter.

Finding the credentialed nurse is the school's problem for training is the
school's problem. However, I recall that some of the "emergency" medical
care that schools can give in California is covered specifically by the
good samaritan laws. Any civilian can provide certain kinds of medical aid
with fear of liability. I believe gluagon is covered under that law, but
it would pay to check.

Michael